Tuesday 30 April 2013

A big couple of days at casa susana

A big couple of days at the casa susana pilgrim rest stop. It has rained and turned cold again, so many pilgrims have sought shelter from the rain, whereas last week it was the shade that was sought after. The little packets of various pastries have been very popular, with 2 kgs marching out the door in as many days. I am enjoying coming downstairs to check on supplies and engaging in conversation with pilgrims. Today the highlight was two men from the States walking from Sarria to Santiago with their 86 year old mom. Wow! I hope my son will walk with me when I'm 86. They were prepared to take it slow and walk 100 kms in 10 days, whereas many do it in 3 or 4. I delighted in showing them inside and enjoyed their company for almost an hour. So whilst it gives me pleasure having the donativo table and giving to pilgrims; conversations enrich my life also. I have started stocking maps of Portomarin and happily offer suggestions about eating, albergues and supermarkets to buy food and other supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any ideas pilgrims have to improve the "donativo" rest stop experience for others who follow.